Come-Along’s, also known as power pullers, cable pullers and have a variety of spelling nomenclature of “Come Along”. Regardless of what you call them, they are designed to pull objects using a winch and ratchet system. They come in all different shapes and sizes, from light to medium duty to heavy duty come along. They are mostly used for moving heavy object that normally cannot be moved by one person or moved safely.
Come along’s are usually classified by the tonnage they can move. Sometimes big jobs requires big tools and that includes some top end power pullers. I personally have used these heavy duty come alongs from building fences, helping divert trees when falling them to even getting my truck out of the mud. Not all power pullers are rated the same! This article will outline the top tonnage moving come along’s for heavy duty jobs.
Maasdam Pow’R Pull 4-Ton Cable Puller
This brand is named after the creators namesake, Abraham Maasdam. There products are made in the USA and are known for making quality power pullers, and this one of the best. Introduced around 2006, this come along has a 4 ton capacity using a 5/16″ cable. The cable is about 6 feet long when fully pulled out. The ratchet is made of aluminum, while the pawls are steel. Overall this is a great come along that can fit many big jobs.
- Made in the USA!
- Notch-At-A Time tech for safer let downs.
- Excellent on slip plastic grip, great for all kinds of different weather.
- Made Amazons best sellers list.
- Built for heavy duty jobs
- Very large, which can make moving it around from place to place a hassle. It weighs about 35 pounds.
- Great control, but very slow. One click at a time when pulling and releasing
- More expensive than the other heavy duties on this list, but well worth it.
XtremepowerUS Heavy-Duty 4-Ton Come-A-Long Power Puller – 3 Hooks and 2 Gears
Xtremepower has been around since 2004 providing industrial tools for both home and professional use. They excel is producing several different tiers of tools for different types of jobs. They create everything from pool cleaners, post hole diggers to power pullers.
This heavy duty power puller is a beast with a 13 foot long cable (fully extended) at 5/16 inch diameter. It comes with THREE hooks and has a max pull length of about 6 feet.
- All steel construction (hardened)
- Corrosion resistant galvanized finish
- Very cheap for what it can do
- Hooks contain self closing safety catches.
- Only weighs about 17 pounds, great for mobility.
- For being able to pull so much weight the handle could be a little better constructed.
- For the price and its capabilities, not much else to day
3 Ton Ratchet Puller With 35′ Of 5/16″ Amsteel Blue
The Wyeth-Scott company has been faithfully creating power pullers since 1934. They are a small manufacture located in Newark, Ohio. Unlike some of the other manufactures on this list Wyeth-Scott specializes in only producing the highest caliber of power pullers. There fame to success is the Amsteel Blue synthetic rope that is many times stronger than steel but still so light that it can float on water. If you are looking for the best, this is it. You will get what you pay for.
Our top pick and personal favorite on this list.
- Uses Amsteel Blue cable of 5/16 inch, rated at 13,700 pounds.
- Made of solid iron, designed for rugged use.
- Comes with three hooks, each having a safety latch.
- One notch at a time let down.
- Weighs about 24 pounds.
- While strong, the rope can have issues winding properly
TEKTON 4-Ton Dual Gear Power Puller
This is the current best selling come along of its class. Constructed of the of steel and is corrosion resistant. This power puller can be used in a double or single line system. This comes with a 21 inch handle for decent amount of leverage. Max rated capacity of 4,000 pounds. Overall this a great come along for occasional and non critical use. This would make a great tool when helping fell a tree to get it to the right spot, or move a log that has fallen in the wrong place.
Pros: Built to be used in all kinds of different landscaping, farming or construction projects.
- Max pull length of 12 feet, 7 inches
- Safe working load of 2,000 pounds
- Fantastic Customer Support
- Highest reviews on this list.
- Current best seller on Amazon.
- Metal quality could be better for the teeth on the gears.
- The release to feed out the cable is not as simple as it could be.
- Wire cord tends to bind when its would back on the spools.
Neiko Heavy Duty 5 Ton Come-a-Long Power Puller, 3 Hooks and 2 Gears
Neiko Tools are developed and manufactured in Taiwan and China. Not to be confused with “Neiko Tools USA” which also build tools which are distributed in the USA. They are known of making a plethora of professional quality tools both for business and casual home use.
This heavy duty power puller is a monster! With a five ton pulling capacity you should have no trouble even with the biggest projects. It comes with three hooks, each with safety latches to ensure everything stays connected.
- Only weighs 13.4 pounds which makes this very easy to move around and set up
- 5 ton pulling capacity, 2 ton lifting. There is a difference!
- Long hand ratchet with a non slip grip. Great for all weather occasions.
- Very Inexpensive for the jobs it can handle
- Can be difficult pulling cable out of the come along.
- Uses a 3/16 inch aircraft steel cable which should not be used with anything heavier than 2 tons.
Always ensure you the the proper precautions when using a heavy duty come along tool, they are very dangerous when under tension, never stand on or about the tensioned line of a come along.